November 3, 2008

Richard Avedon

Richard Avedon greatly influenced photography throughout his career. He was very interested in capturing the personality of a person in his portraits, rather than just capturing a likeness. He often shot his portraits in front of a plain white background to in order to focus on the emotion of the subject. Among some of his most famous photographs is this portrait of Marilyn Monroe:

Avedon, however, also recreated the idea of the fashion shoot. Instead of photographing fashion shots with the models standing emotionless and bored-looking, acting simply as a standing hanger for the clothes, he captured them with emotion
n and usually in action.

Here are some of my favorites:








Avedon was also the inspiration for Dick Avery, the fashion photographer played by Fred Astaire in the 1957 musical movie Funny Face.

He died October 1, 2004 in San Antonio, Texas while shooting for the New Yorker.

Interested in learning more? The Richard Avedon Foundation

xx Nikkidee

3 comments:

  1. ahhhh!!! yes! I love Avedon. I especially love the "American photos", even though they are less fashion oriented...

    like these:
    http://fadedandblurred.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/avedon-52.jpg

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WaivNw4KH9I/TScdLaavOWI/AAAAAAAAAF8/2vSqOgk17Nk/s1600/Ave3.png

    http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/063/3/b/Ode_to_Richard_Avedon_by_colibrii.jpg

    Just look up "richard avedon the americans" and lots of beautiful pictures will come up :)

    Also, it is SO cool that you go to Parsons!!! I love your picture portfolio, esp. the "musical" one and "pigeons". Your designs are also really cool! Oh god... I wish I was at Parsons... stupid middle school sucks.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh yes, thanks for the links! I love Avedon
    and aw thank you!! I really need to update my portfolio, hahaha
    yeah I really like Parsons. middle school really does suck...but it'll be over before you know it! seriously....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. But think of
    if you added some great photos or videos to give your
    posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with images and video clips, this website could definitely be one of the best in its field. Good blog!
    Also visit my blog - alice in wonderland fancy dress

    ReplyDelete

C-C-C-Comment! :]

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails